Saturday, September 17, 2011

Electric Substation

I'm becoming more comfortable in Hawaii... comfortable enough to start exploring. You probably already knew that it wouldn't be long until I was up to my regular shennanigins again? I've started exploring. I'm already past the shopping malls, beaches, and snorkeling spots - now, I'm searching for enticing new abandoned betties on the island of Oahu.
Introducing the first haunt of my Hawaii life. I was searching the internet, visiting forum upon forum, looking for abandoned places in HI. Someone mentioned this 'retro electric substation' in a forum. It's only a few miles outside of our neighborhood so I decided to play investigator and find its exact location for myself. Easy peasy. Within 10 minutes I was walking through the Hawaiian brush and up the old driveway to this delapidated electic station.
The substation is pretty far gone. From my research, I determined that it has been vacant since the early '70's. My guess is that the local neighborhoods (Ewa, Ewa Beach, Kapolei, etc.) expanded so quickly that this little electic station couldn't power them all so the city ditched this effort and just built a brand-spankin' new station furter down the road.
The place was pretty neat. There were old electric circuit breakers and remnants of a time long forgotten all over the place. Stuff that I've never seen with my own eyes before. Oh, and there were bees galore!
I wish you could have been there to see this in person. It was industrially eerie, for sure.
I hope this little artifact stays intact for a while longer. Walking slowly through this little electic plant was like taking a step back in time.

Hope you're having a swell weekend! Get a little rest and relaxation.

1 comment:

Nelly said...

Loved the tour and I see things that I know others would have loved to have grabbed.