Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Water for Elephants

I'm almost finished reading Water for Elephants. As soon as I heard about the film version of this story and its impeccable 1920's styling I ran to the library and requested the novel. It took me over 3 weeks to get the book in my hands. Apparently, I wasn't the only library-lover who also wanted to read this book before seeing the film. I have only a few pages to read until I've read every word from cover to cover. My favorite book (as of now). With a great plot, terrific story-telling, and random old pictures like these, how could you not love this book?
If you didn't already know, or couldn't tell from the above photos, Water for Elephants revolves around a turn-of-the-century traveling circus. The lifestyles these characters lived were less than extravagant, but when the big top was raised the performers came to life.

I can't wait to see how the film compares to the novel. While I was hanging out at the bookstore last week another shopper and I were talking about the movie. Over a cup of chai, she said it wasn't that great. There was no connection between 34-year-old Reese Witherspoon and 24-year-old Robert Pattinson. Oh well. I really just want to see the styling! If the film reflects these photos of Witherspoon in the May '11 issue of Vogue, I'll be more than ecstatic.
Aren't those photos stunning? That elephant is beautiful - and Reese's designer gowns aren't too shabby either. Crazy pretty. Just wanted to share these pictures with you and see if you had any thoughts on either the book or the film. Have you read Water for Elephant? Have you seen the movie? How do they compare? You can tell me whatever you'd like... I'm still going to see the movie no matter what the reviews may say because gorgeous styling makes my heart flutter.

No comments: