Monday, March 7, 2011

Meeting the Bean

On Sunday, I high jacked Ashley's car and ventured into the city. I was on a tight schedule seeing as I had just dropped my aunt and her man off at the Midway Airport and had to be back to catch my own flight at O'Hare less than 2 hours later. I was dying all weekend to go see "The Bean". I knew that it was now or never (or at least for a few more years) and drove into the city from the suburbs quickly.
(Had to snap a quick picture of this! Cotton candy vendors on the streets!)
I was intrigued and a bit thrown-off by all of the underground streets in Chicago. I think it's crazy to drive under huge sky-scrappers. So difficult to tell which direction you're going when you're underground without any landmarks to guide you.
Here he is! The Bean! This giant bean-shaped sculpture in central Chicago is an artistic landmark. Also known by its formal name, Cloud Gate, and designed by Anish Kapoor, this sculpture is meant to mimic a drop of liquid mercury. Isn't it stellar with the large pieces of white snow just hugging the sides as they slide to the bottom?
I've heard that it's good luck to have your picture taken in the reflection of the bean every time you're in Chicago. I was chatting with a group of girls (who are in the background posing nonchalantly in each of these pictures) and we did a bit of a photoshoot together. I love talking to strangers who end up being extremely cool and enjoy fun photos as much as I do.

(Can you tell I'm in the windy city? Woosh. Crazy hair.)
Within 30 minutes, I had to say goodbye to the bean and Millennium Park and rush back to our hotel to get my belongings, say goodbye to the newlyweds and friends, and zip to the airport with Tim.
Glad to have gallivanted around the city before I left the state of Illinois. Hopefully these reflection pictures bring me some good luck in the upcoming years! I think they turned out pretty cute... and now I have the required 'bean' profile picture on facebook that is mandatory after every trip to Chicago! Thanks to Ashley for letting me steal her car for a little!

No comments: