Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Trampled by Turtles

Trampled by Turtles is a fast pickin’ bluegrass band that has been quickly climbing the list of my favorite bands. I was in heaven on Saturday when I got a chance to watch (& photograph) this inspiring band in Philadelphia.
The instruments, a guitar, acoustic bass, banjo, mandolin, and fiddle, resonated sharply through the venue. The show took place at a beautiful new venue called Union Transfer. Union Transfer used to be an actual operating train station way back in the day. Those historic touches are still prevalent through the venue; brass door handles, chandeliers that weigh several hundred pounds, stain glass windows that are over 11 feet tall. It was my first time at Union Transfer and I loved it. I hope to be back sometime soon.
The band started with a seductive new song that I had never heard before - something not surprising since I’ve only been listening to Trampled by Turtles for a few weeks. I got a prime little spot up front to the right of the stage and hopped to take lots of nice pictures. After a few songs, I ran up to the balcony to take some more photos (& to check out the view from way up high). I couldn’t be more happy with how my pictures turned out.
The organic sounding band from Minnesota is definitely something worth checking out. Give ‘em a listen. I really love the nature-y sound of strong bluegrass lately. I’ll admit it… my Sirius radio has been stuck on Bluegrass Junction and people look at me weird when I drive through a parking lot blaring bluegrass that a pretty little country girl. That just makes it even more fun.
Just wanted to spread the word about Trampled by Turtles. Thank you, Schubert, for turning me on to them.  The 2 and a half hour trip to Philly, the pit stop at Anthropologie, the phenomenal show, the drinks with friends, and the staying up to 5:30 chatting with a gentleman and showing him my utter dorkiness was very enjoyable. Goodness, I’ve got lots to be Thankful for.

No comments: