Saturday, August 13, 2011

Midtown Scholar

I'd like to introduce you to one of my new favorite places... The Midtown Scholar. Located in downtown Harrisburg, PA, right across the street from the splendid, historic, Harrisburg Broad Street Market sits a gigantic bookstore. The Midtown Scholar is one of the best independent, new and used book store in the entire country.
Three stories of nonfiction, fiction, history, art, biographies and more. The Midtown Scholar often hosts bands, performers, writers, readers, and artists on their nice little stage. A full coffee bar also makes a visit to the book store a little sweeter.
Midtown Harrisburg wasn't always as nice as it is now. I remember being little and visiting the Broad Street Market with my mother and having her hold our hands the entire time, telling us not to leave her side. This section of Harrisburg city has undergone a huge revitilization over the past few years. Huge improvement! The Midtown Scholar added some culture, entertainment, and class to the capital city.
I spent some time hanging around the book store, reading about historic properties in the Central Pennsylvania area, and drinking a delicious iced chai tea last week. It was great to seek relief from the scorching heat inside of the cool store after walking around downtown Harrisburg for a few hours.
Do you think these pictures look a little blue? They sure do. Seems as though I had the color balance on Bruce's camera set to tungsten. I didn't realize it until I walked a few blocks back to my car and previewed the pictures. Don't laugh at my blues. I was too busy reading and relaxing to check my camera settings, I guess.
I highly sugguest a visit to the Midtown Scholar during your next trip to Central Pennsylvania... or if you're just looking for some place cool to hang out in. Do you have a favorite bookstore? Is it anything like the Midtown?

1 comment:

Jillian McGrath said...

Love that you went to the Midtown Scholar! Such a great place :) Are you back in PA yet?