Friday, April 29, 2011

1940 Oldsmobile

Last Sunday, while in Harrisburg, PA, I traipsed around my Aunt’s backyard barn and stared at this beauty…
This is a 1940 Oldsmobile Series 90. A four-door Touring Sedan known as a luxury vehicle in its hay day.
The styling of the Series 90 was second to none (other than maybe the Oldsmobile Hydra-Matic of the same year). With vent windows, front-hinged rear doors (a.k.a.‘suicide doors’), and notched back profile, this car is so sleek.
(My sister & her boyfriend. Pretty cute, right?)
A walnut-grain dash and large ‘deluxe’ steering wheel were standard in this 1940 vehicle. The dash was clean and the gages were easy to read. The broadcloth upholstery is in perfect condition, even 71 years later.
Here's a completely restored '40 Olds. The one below is a two-door model however. How pretty?
What is my Aunt doing with this car? The Olds belonged to her husband, my Uncle Bill. Uncle Bill passed away when I was in middle school. He put this car in their barn in 1986. That was the last time this gorgeous car was driven. She's sitting here waiting to be restored.

I like to just sit in this car. It's so regal and it brings back so many memories of my Uncle Bill. He was 7'2". No lie. One heck of a character, too. I think Uncle Bill would be ecstatic to know that I often hang out in his Oldsmobile... just running my fingers along the steering wheel, propping my legs up on the large bench seat, discovering old pictures in the glove box. It's so neat to have a connection with something that you know a passed loved one spent so much time in. 
Let's hear it for Uncle Bill and his charming Oldsmobile! Do you have any heirlooms that you like to reminisce about?

I've got a quite the houseguest staying with me for the weekend. Stay tuned for lots of picture recaps! Have a happy weekend, my friends! Enjoy the nice weather.

1 comment:

Patti B said...

that car is a beauty!