While plugging away on the internet earlier today, I stumbled up a blog post that I found really motivating. The post was titled "50 Things You Need to Give Up Now". I thought the title was really kind of pushy. How about 'could' give up now. Or 'should' give up now. Or 'work towards' giving up now. Those sound better to me. No matter what the title, I think this list of 50 things is really a good read.
With that said, I've decided to post these 50 things. Not all at once. It's a little overwhelming. If I post 10 a day, I think it's easier to try and achieve giving up these things or at least bringing them to your attention.
A little positivity and optimism can go a LONG way. I'm most definitely a positive person who makes the best out of every situation (only after racking my brain in an exhausting manner). These are things that I find myself thinking about often and trying to improve upon.
1. Give up trying to be perfect. – The real world doesn’t reward perfectionists; it rewards people who get things done.
2. Give up comparing yourself to others. – The only person you are competing against is yourself.
3. Give up dwelling on the past or worrying too much about the future. – Right now is the only moment guaranteed to you. Right now is life. Don’t miss it.
4. Give up complaining. – Do something about it.
5. Give up holding grudges. – Grudges are a waste of perfect happiness.
6. Give up waiting. – What we don’t start today won’t be finished by tomorrow. Knowledge and intelligence are both useless without action.
7. Give up lying. – In the long-run the truth always reveals itself. Either you own up to your actions or your actions will ultimately own you.
8. Give up trying to avoid mistakes. – The only mistake that can truly hurt you is choosing to do nothing simply because you’re too scared to make a mistake.
9. Give up saying, “I can’t.” – Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you are right.
10. Give up trying to be everything to everyone. – Making one person smile can change the world. Maybe not the whole world, but their world. Start small and start now.
These are only the first 10 from the list. Think any of these things would be good to cut out of your life or relationships? I'll keep posting these little reminders throughout the week.