Tuesday, October 11, 2011

October Rising

It's October 11th! Insane. I will be 25 in 4 days! How has my birthday snuck up so quickly without me even knowing it?! I have no plans. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Maybe I'm in denial because I'm going to be 25 and have a to-do list that seems to be longer than the Nile River... Come on quarter-life accomplishments, I've been working my butt off for you.

October is my favorite month. Other than marking my birth, October is filled with rad things - Halloween (my favorite holiday!), the need for stylish new warmer clothing, colorful leaves, hazy full moons, crisp chilly walks in the morning... This list could go on forever.

It's still been pretty warm around these parts. It's been nearly 80 degrees for 4 days in a row. Isn't that called an Indian Summer? Not so sure. I am sure glad that I wear nice tank tops with long skirts, though. For example:
I sewed this pretty long skirt just a few days ago! My dad and I ventured up to the PA Fabric Outlet to shop for auto interior upholstery material for my '67 Saab. We were successful in finding our automotive refurbishing needs and I have a whole lot of car-seat sewing to complete.

I picked up some other fabrics that I was pretty stoked about. Fabric 1? That chevron printed burnt orange and white pictured above. The Fabric Outlet always has several tables covered in bolts of $.99 fabric. Ding Ding! Sounds like a deal to me. I picked up 2 yards of this orange print and it was just (barely) enough to sew this skirt.
(I made that headband and scarf, too. Anyone interested in tutorials?)
I made 6 panels all identical, lined 'em up and pinned them, then started sewing all of the seams. I inserted a 6" zipper on the side with a 1" waistband. Only took about an hour to sew the entire thing! The cheapest (& one of the prettiest) things I've ever sewn. I've worn it twice since I completed it. I've already gotten my wear's worth out of it!
These pictures were taken in my parent's backyard. It butts up against a 100+ acre farm filled with dried corn. It makes for nice fall snapshots, don't you think? Guess I better go figure out what I'm going to be doing on my birthday... Any suggestions for the big 2-5?

By the way, stay tuned for news about my latest creations! I've got a new little business plan waiting to make a debut!

1 comment:

Nelly said...

Great job on that skirt and 25 aye?Well I had 2.5 kids at that age and sure wish I could look young again lol