Monday, April 4, 2011

Jim Thorpe Burlesque Festival

This was perhaps the sultriest Saturday night I've ever had. Two of my studly friends and I headed to Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania for the Jim Thorpe Burlesque Festival. It was quite a reveal.

Jim Thorpe is an adorable little town nestled in the Pocono region of Pennsylvania. While driving there, there was nothing in site. Middle of nowhere. Then, we turned the corner and it was like "Bam! Welcome to Jim Thorpe!" It was a charming town to say the least.
The "Big Reveal" took place in the Mauch Chunk Opera House and was almost sold out. Proceeds from the show went to benefit the renovation and preservation of this historic building, originally built in 1881.
The Saturday night show was very competitive. Burlesque entertainers competed for a top prize of $1,000 and the coveted 'Crystal Corset' Award.
The 2-hour show is a way for new burlesque talents to shine. The show was hosted by Madame Corsetiere, owner of Jim Thorpe's Dragontown Corsets, and had headline acts like Ret Hot Annie, Fannie Spankings, Wham Bam Pam, The Rhinestone Follies, and the Spin Twins. These girls were so great and so confident. More power to them for being able to dance half-nude in front of a few hundred people! Not so sure I could do that (but I can dance by myself in front of my dresser in my underoos very well).
Some fun afterwards, too. Spent the night in nearby Scranton, Pennsylvania and enjoyed being with my friends. It's always rewarding to rekindle friendships with those you haven't seen in a few months.
Went to bed late and woke up early to head back to my parents place and then further on to Maryland. I'm hoping to go to the Burlesque Festival again next year. It was a blast and definitely one of those things you don't get to see very often. Have you ever been to a Burlesque show? What did you think of it?


1 comment:

Madame Corsetiere said...

Dear Ami,
Madame Corsetiere at your service! I just wanted to pop in and thank you for your kind write-up. I'm so glad you had a good time, and I hope to see you at BOOLESQUE on October 28. If it's alright with you, I'll be putting a link to this blog entry into the "Press Links" listing on the Festival website. Thanks again!